What is the Export Market Development Grant?
Are you an exporter? You may be eligible for the The Export Market Development Grant (or EMDG) which exists to help small to medium Australian businesses develop their export markets.
The Export Market Development Grant reimburses you (up to 50%) for amounts you spend on promoting your products and services for export market (except to New Zealand and North Korea).
Most products and services where the intended buyer is a foreigner will qualify, so it can extend to inbound tourism, the export of intellectual property and know-how (e.g. software), and holding conferences and events in Australia.
Promoting products and services produced and sold outside Australia can also qualify if there is a significant net benefit to Australia.
Do you qualify for the Export Market Development Grant?
To qualify for the export market development grant, you need to be an Australian individual, partnership, company, association, cooperative or statutory corporation that has:
- An ABN
- Been exporting or is intending to export
- An annual income of less than $50m
- Spent at least $15,000 on promoting your products and services for export
- Promoted the export of goods and/or services outside Australia
- Applied within 4 months of the end of the financial year
- Did not already receive 8 EMDG grants
How much can you get from the Export Market Development Grant?
You can get up to 50% of the amount you spend on the items listed in the categories below:
- Overseas representatives who market/promote your product (maximum claim $200,000)
- Marketing consultants who conduct export market research or marketing activities (maximum claim $50,000)
- Marketing visits overseas (travel, accommodation etc)
- Cost of providing free samples
- Cost of participating in trade fairs
- Cost of promotional literature and advertising (e.g. website, flyers, brochures, videos, etc)
- Cost of bringing overseas buyers to Australia (maximum of $7,500 per buyer per visit capped to $45,000)
- Registration and/or insurance of eligible intellectual property for the grant, registration or extension of the period of registration of intellectual property for countries other than Australia or New Zealand and the cost of insurance premiums paid for protection against possible infringement, in countries outside Australia, of eligible intellectual property.
How many EMDG claims can you make?
You can claim up to eight grants which can be spread over non-consecutive years.
How we can help you apply and maximise your EDGM
We take the time to understand your business and provide you with professional advice on the best strategy for your application.
We identify and review all necessary paperwork and prepare your application.
With years of experience in government grants and our technical knowledge in law and tax, we stand by you to ensure you get the maximum possible out of your claim.
Number businesses helped
Total dollars in grant money claimed
Average claimed for 2018-19
(compared to an average of $47,569 claimed to Austrade by other consultants)
Key facts about EDMG
The annual EMDG budget is $157.9 million. This was increased to $207.7m in 2019-20 financial year in reponse to the COVID19 event. In the 2019-20 financial year grants worth $192.2 million were paid to 4,105 businesses. For the 2018-19 grant year:
- The average grant was $47:569
- 1,287 businesses entered the scheme for the first time
- Businesses the received grants reported generating $4.3 billion in exports
- 730 recipients were from rural and regional Australia
- 77% of recipients were small businesses, reporting annual income of less than $5 million
- By broad industry clastification, 70% of EMDG recipients were from services industries with a further 26 percent in manufacturing and 4% in the primary sector.
- The principal markets targeted by EMDG recipients are the USA, UK, Sngapore, China, Canada and Germany
The annual EMDG budget is $137.9 million. In the 2017-18 financial year grants worth $131.6 million were paid to 3.706 businesses. For the 2016-17 grant year:
- The average grant was $35, 086
- 1119 businesses entered the scheme for the first time
- Businesses that received the grants reporting generating $3.8 billion in exports
- 582 recipients were from rural and regional Australia
- ¾ of the recipients were small businesses reporting annual incomes of less than $5 million
- By broad industry classification, 66% of EMDG recipients were from service industries, with a further 29% in manufacturing and 4% in the primary sector
- The principal market targeting by EMDG recipients is the United States, followed by the United Kingdom, mainland China, Hong Kong and Germany
My business recently received a significant Export Market Development Grant thanks to the efforts and experience of Adam Ahmed. I didn’t even know these grants were available to me. When Adam contacted me I was initially skeptical however he has proved himself to work with the utmost professionalism, …
Adam was very proactive in helping us collate information and preparing the grant itself. The process was well explained and Adam made sure that we managed to maximise what we were entitled to claim with the export development grant. With his help, our application was successful and we hope to work with…
One quick email to Adam and we were talking on the phone and then he jumped to work. The process is complicated with so many moving parts and documentation needed and Adam guides us through it with ease. We would not have submitted without Adams guidance
We recommend Adam Ahmed and the team for their professionalism, guidance and prompt & friendly service. They were able to achieve a great outcome for us. Highly recommend.
Mia has been very helpful in supporting our grant claim, the overall outcome has been as promised by Mia and the team at Adam Ahmed and Co.
Adam was great through the whole process and did a lot of work in the background to make the grant a lot less time consuming than it could have been. Whilst it was a lot of work Adam was always offering help and preparing detailed spreadsheets to make the process easier. We were extremely happy with t…
Words cannot express how grateful I am with Adam Ahmed & Co and the entire way you structured the whole Export Market Grant experience for me.
Adam you made a very overwhelming information gathering situation very easy for me and you have implemented a thorough streamline process which helped guide every …
EMMANUELE C TSAKIRIS
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE EXPORT MARKET DEVELOPMENT GRANT?
Free 15 minute consultation
If you think you might qualify for Export Market Development Grant (EMDG) and want to talk it through with an expert, Government Grants consultants are both tax lawyers and chartered accountants. We offer a FREE 15 minute consultation, and by the end of it we guarantee:
- You will know for certain whether or not you qualify.
- You will have a rough idea of how much you can claim, or be able to work out how much you can claim.
If you do not receive this after our first free 15 minute consultation, we will offer you a second, free 15 minute consultation.