Can I Claim The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG)?
The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG)- What is it?
It helps you pay for your marketing costs when selling your products overseas by reimbursing you (up to 50%) for amounts you spend on promoting your products and services for export (except to New Zealand and North Korea)
Most products and services where the intended buyer is a foreigner will qualify, so it can extend to inbound tourism, the export of intellectual property and know-how (e.g. software), and holding conferences and events in Australia.
Promoting products and services produced and sold outside Australia can also qualify if there is a significant net benefit to Australia.
The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG)- How much can I get?
You can get up to 50% of the amount you spend on the items listed in the categories below:
- Overseas representatives who market/promote your product (maximum claim $200,000)
- Marketing consultants who conduct export market research or marketing activities (maximum claim $50,000)
- Marketing visits overseas (travel, accommodation etc)
- Communication costs – fax, phone, emails
- Cost of providing free samples
- Cost of participating in trade fairs
- Cost of promotional literature and advertising (e.g. website, flyers, brochures, videos, etc)
- Cost of bringing overseas buyers to Australia (maximum of $7,500 per buyer per visit capped to $45,000)
- Registration and/or insurance of eligible intellectual property for the grant, registration or extension of the period of registration of intellectual property for countries other than Australia or New Zealand and the cost of insurance premiums paid for protection against possible infringement, in countries outside Australia, of eligible intellectual property.
The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG)- Do I qualify?
To qualify, you need to:
- Earn less than $50m in income
- Spend at least $15,000 on promoting your products and services for export
Apply within 4 months of the end of the financial year.
If you want us to take you through it, send us an email or give us a call.